Sunday, November 19, 2006

Six Degrees of Separation

I woke up this morning (da, da-ra-ra-RA!) and I was thinking about Six Degrees of Separation, and how one would turn this into a website. It would be a fantastic website along the lines of Friends Reunited and be a search engine where you could put in your name and it would tell you how you are linked to someone else on the planet, as long as they had entered their details. Of course, upon registering you would be required to record everyone you know, including birth dates and locations. Then on the famous end, people could be linked by movies etc. Each link would have to be verified by providing evidence e.g. photos or references.

I was half awake, half asleep, working the potential maths problem in my head. My brain was in danger of exploding, which is when I woke properly, and realised it was an insane idea!!!

Turns out I wasn't the first to think of it (no shock there). Wiki says that there was an early website called sixdegrees.com which was like a social networking website that bit the dust. It probably imploded. Of course I had also (after a bit of memory-digging) heard of the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon".

I might look up the TV series and the film or the play etc... it's a concept that fascinates me.

Who do you know?

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory