Friday, March 31, 2006

Jetsetting

Just back from another quick trip. This time it was down to London, flying from Edinburgh.

A business trip, sounds glamourous but believe me it wasn't! An early start, and an early finish. With a good few hours of people-watching thrown in.

The design of Gatwick Airport means that people waiting to be called for flights are forced to congregate in an almightly temple to capitalism - it felt like the central square in the Metrocentre, except perhaps with more seats. There are large signs telling the public that beyond the doors to the gates there are few facilities and to take advantage of the ones on offer here. I bet the shopowners are very grateful.

I had two very heavy bags with me, which were delightfully light when I had to kid-on to get them in as hand luggage... that meant I couldn't do much shopping, which was a good thing really. Instead, I got to sit with Joe and Jeanette Public.

I decided I didn't need another newspaper. I had enough to entertain me, really. The two middle-aged gentlemen had me eavesdropping, trying to identify which language they were speaking (Dutch I think, but certainly European).

There was a group of young Jewish men, teenagers really, Orthodox to a point but one was wearing a "hoody" which I don't suppose would be approved dress...

There was a youngish woman sitting close to me, dressed very neatly but revealing some bright red cartoon socks inside her expensive boots. She was studying some pages printed from her computer. I was trying secretly to zoom in to identify what they were when she very helpfully told the world by having a conversation with her mother about them, in an incredibly loud American voice. Turns out she was on her way to Prague and was trying to organise a weekend break in Frankfurt, but could Mom write down the details (with spelled-out email addresses and websites) or she could send a text, just to send them an email to reserve the dinner cruise for her and Andre (presumably the boyfriend). Blimey.

Mine was the only flight not delayed last night, the French were on strike again. I hope all those people weren't there to long - I landed just before 9, then had a 2-hour drive home in the rain.

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory