Thursday, April 20, 2006

Flowers by the Roadside OR "I blame Diana"

One thing that I see a lot of while driving is floral litter. It catches my eye, waking me from my automaticpilotness and reminding me of my mortality. I suppose that's one good thing that comes of it, but I doubt that was the primary intention of those that left it there. Obviously it's a memorial, and I can understand that. But after the initial jolt of responsibility, the next feeling I get is one of wastefulness, and filth.

I'm not denying the expression of grief, but I would doubt that the people being remembered would appreciate the pieces of dirty plastic sheeting containing rotting plant material, which is all that will remain in a few days' time.

Of course this is also a popular act in cemeteries, and to a lesser degree at prehistoric sites. If the flowers etc are unwrapped it's not so bad…

I don't disapprove of all "offerings" though, because some kind person left me a collection of treasures at Duddo last weekend, including some coins (=26p), and a small polished pink quartz crystal (thanks).

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory