Sunday, June 25, 2006

My Birthday!

It's my birthday today!

I woke incredibly early and opened all my cards and some of my pressies and watched some telly in bed - very decadent!

I can never decide what I want to "do" on my birthday. I obviously like to do something special but I can never decide what! Because it's the middle of summer there's no end of organised outdoor events, and the local paper this weekend showed it was nothing different this year. I decided to plump for an open garden near Penrith but never actually got there!

My folks brought a cake round, the one my mum always makes me, rich chocolate cake from the Be-ro book with chocolate icing - YUM!



But we decided to eat it later... went out and ended up going for Sunday Lunch in Eamont Bridge near Penrith at the Beehive Inn, very very nice and huge portions. Outside the pub there was a sign for the Lakeland Bird of Prey Centre so we went to check it out and ended up watching a display and I got to hold Olly, a Harris' Hawk. When he was first brought out to us and let go, he zoomed off to kill a rabbit and the bloke had to go and fetch him and the rabbit back! In the picture, I think he's watching a worm.


After we visited the other birds, including a bald eagle, hooded vultures, a merlin, and several different types of owls (lovely) we left and drove just across the A6 to the Jersey coo farm, and had some coffee and ice cream, and went to talk to the calves.

It was about this time that we acknowledged the fact that it really was freezing cold for the middle of summer - checked the car and it said 12 degrees!

Then it was home to watch the remainder of the England v Equador second-round world cup match, which they won. Later we saw the Portugal v Holland match, very hilariously chaotic.

Of course, had some cake too



photos: Blokey

1 comment:

Stephen Bradbury said...

Olly looks a splendid creature! The cake looks pretty tasty too...

 
Blogged Blog Directory