Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cumbrian Rail Crash

I received a phonecall late on Friday night suggesting that I switched on the TV and see the news about a train crash which had just happened about 40 miles south of here.

My family's first thought was for a cousin who was involved with Pendolinos and training the drivers (he was fine, obviously). He was one of the first people to learn how to drive one in this country, and has passed his knowledge on to others.

It was quite impressive seeing reasonably-good pictures coming out of that area near Tebay / Kendal, which is near to one of the few patches on the motorways still difficult to get radio reception. As Friday turned into Saturday and the news-channels' reports got more repetitive (Q: "What can you see of the crash from where you are" - A: "Nothing it's pitch black") so we went to bed and knew by the morning everything would be clearer.

When I saw the pictures, wow! How impressive! Last year I got to travel on one of these Pendolinos and I can say honestly that I felt completely safe (if a little claustrophobic because of non-opening windows).

I've got no problem taking a repeat journey, in fact I am really looking forward to it, and intend to invest in first class. Trouble is, you can't buy any more than 12 weeks ahead (how daft is that?)

And bravo to the driver of the train, and all those who trained him.

(what a strange word "train" is)

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory