Thursday, January 18, 2007

Big Brother – Another fine day at the Coliseum

I admit it, I am a Big Brother fan; I’ve watched every series since the first one.

The theme tune always reminds me of a particularly hot summer in my old terraced house, watching TV with the windows open and wearing next to nothing (cos it’s hot as an oven). I watch it because it’s carcrash telly, and pure entertainment. I’ve always had a slightly sick sense of humour and this satisfies it completely. I enjoy watching from the start, as the producers pick the widest spread of personalities and backgrounds. I’m always amazed that anyone still wants to put themselves through it when they can’t fail to know what it involves.

Who would have predicted was has gone on in this series?

Who on earth would have thought that Jade Goody’s actions lost the programme its main sponsor, after over 30,000 complaints to Offcom? Before the series started and before I knew she would be taking part, I had admitted to myself that I actually quite liked Jade Goody, who I declared as “a special kind of thick”, and fairly harmless. She has come a long way thanks to Big Brother; she didn’t even win the series she took part in, and yet has done the best out of any housemate ever. Until now.

Jade recently launched a perfume – some shops have now refused to stock it. Danielle the scouse model, who I had never heard of in my life before BB, had decided to try and cash in on Jade’s popularity and as a result has lost a lucrative modeling contract. Hey, but I’m sure they’ll both survive.
( NB Some reports said she was dropped as patron of an anti-bullying charity but in fact she merely donated to it)

The most ridiculous thing is that they carry on carrying on; because none of them have any idea how mad the press coverage has got. I mean, the Chancellor of the Exchequer had to make a comment on it during his visit to India, ffs!

Anyone who has watched any previous BBs will know that the situation is completely typical of many arguments that have happened before. Extreme characters are bound to act a bit over-the-top when put under stress in a false environment, that’s the whole point, doesn’t anyone get it?

Is it racism? Well how you answer that depends on your perspective. I have at various points landed on both sides of the fence, depending on outside influences and the direction of the wind, probably. I think the programme is very carefully edited – tonight, lots of new viewers will watch to see what all the fuss is about, and most of them will regret it, because if you haven’t watched it before, let’s face it you probably shouldn’t.

It’s certainly bullying; and there’s always a victim. The saddest thing for me is that Shilpa Shetty will now be known to many in the UK as the victim at the centre of this whole mess, when in fact she is showing herself to have a peaceful personality, self-respect and pure class.

Meanwhile, people are joking that when Jade gets out, a TV documentary is waiting to be made, where she travels to see “the real India”.

But who will the winners and losers be… YOU DECIDE!

I for one can’t wait to find out.

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory