Thursday, January 25, 2007

Yorkshire's African Heritage

This is an interesting story, on the beeb website

Apparently, researchers studying DNA have found a rare snippet which is only otherwise found in a few African subjects. From this, they have suggested that People from Africa settled in Yorkshire. Completely possible, and even quite likely if you think about it, I mean it's not like ancient people didn't know Africa existed.


I was searching on that article for the surname under study, and found the following statement:


....the researchers started recruiting people with the same last name, which starts with "R" and originates in Yorkshire


Are they keeping the surname a secret? Why? For fear of a backlash from Mr Flatcap denying his heritage? Who's decision was it to keep this secret, the BBC? The researchers? How odd.


I love the idea that I might be "made-up" of people from all over the world. Anyone who thinks they aren't is kidding themselves.


I'd love to know more about my DNA, find out if I have Mongolian or Viking blood, for instance...

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory