Thursday, January 04, 2007

A New Addiction - Liquorice root tea

Last night on the "big shop" I was very good and bought lots of healthy food, as you do this time of year (but I also got some bargain chocolate-coated coffee beans so not entirely innocent).

I had planned to get some fruity teas, because I can't get away with pure herbal teas and green tea is a wee bit too green for my tastes, when my eyes landed on liquorice root tea.





As a child I remember buying some liquorice sticks from a health shop because someone told me that they used to chew them as a child - this was obviously someone old enough to remember the Beatles. They were cheap enogh, but when I opened the bag they were - actually - sticks! I gave it a go, it tasted sweet, thee middle was a curry-yellow colour and I liked chewing the strands. After a while I realised that the now stringy pulp had become tasteless and something distracted me and I saved it for later. I can still feel its cold wetness when I tried to continue chewing it after a few hours, I may as well have left it on the bedpost overnight...

Well with the good bits of this memory flashing back to me, I decided to take a gamble on the tea and well can just say I am now completely hooked again!

Don't be confused by the liquorice you get in black hard paste, this is something else entirely, no treacle or aniseed here. It doesn't get stuck in your teeth and turn your fingernails black when retrieving it. It's great for the digestion and stress too, apparently.

But I won't be drinking it for pure health reasons, I'll be drinking it because I like it!

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory