Sunday, January 21, 2007

Long Meg and Castlerigg



As the weather was predicted to be "mixed", and because the footie is on later, we decided to keep it local today. Long Meg is our nearest Stone circle, only takes about 20 minutes to drive there. On arrival, I left B to his technology and walked the full circumference twice, once inside and once outside the stones (This is about 600 metres if some measurements are to believed!)




I paused at a fallen tree. I counted 162 rings on this section, but when I walked around the other side I realised there was a fatter bit so I reckon it was maybe 200-250 years old.




A family group on a Sunday walk came to play on the stones, as I suppose people have been doing for a good few centuries.




After the hail started at Long Meg we bid her farewell but decided to visit our old pal Castlerigg, which is always nice. It's only about another 20 minutes to get there. The sky was a strange mixture of grey and purple.









No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory